When you are planning a vacation or business trip, the last thing you are thinking about is bringing bed bugs home with you. But did you know, the majority of bed bug cases occur exactly that way? You are at a nice hotel/motel and you think all is well, just hold up for a minute, as soon as you put your luggage down if there are bed bugs in that room, they could absolutely hitch a ride to your clothes and subsequently, your home.
The pregnant females can lay up to 12 eggs per day and one single female can infest with over 5,000 bugs in 6 months. WOW! When humans are in the area of the bed bugs they begin to feed and reproduce immediately.
Here is what to look for when you enter a room:
- Living bed bugs, typically found in the sheets and under the mattress
- Bed Bug fecal stains also found on or around the sheets and mattress
- Blood spots on the bedsheets and mattress
- And if you laid on the bed, itchy red bumps on the skin
I know, delightful little buggers they are right? We here at the Bed Bug Store encourage our customers to do the following before they put anything down.
- Upon entering the room, go directly to the bathroom, bed bugs don't like slick areas. Place your items in the bathtub.
- Head to the bed and look at the bedspread for small reddish-brown bugs or droppings.
- Lift the sheets and do the same.
- Pull the mattress up and check the headboard for droppings and or bugs.
If you do see any of that, immediately call the front desk and request a new room on a different floor and not directly above that room. Bed bugs can travel through the walls to adjoining rooms.
Sadly this doesn't happen just in hotels, it also affects Air Bnb's and public areas. If someone is traveling and they picked up a hitchhiking bed bug, should your bags get close enough they could jump on over to you.
When you arrive home, place your luggage in the driveway or garage and take the clothes and immediately wash them in hot water for at least 30 minutes. This will kill any eggs and bugs.
Following these tips will keep you bed bug-free and eliminate a costly removal process that is also a nightmare to think about. We have a travel spray and a disposable mattress cover you can purchase to keep your mind and body safe from worrying about getting bit by bed bugs.
Let us at Bed Bug Store assist you. All our products come with a 90-day 100% satisfaction guarantee. We have been relieving customers of their bed bugs for over 15 years. Our products are also 100% all-natural, chemical and pesticide-free. The smell you notice when using our solution, is the fresh scent of peppermint.